An emergency medical dispatcher (EMD) is a communications specialist who processes calls from the public requesting immediate medical assistance. Dispatchers are a significant role of emergency medical services. They obtain and relay important information to field personnel. The primary responsibilities are to answer calls, obtain important, accurate information, determine the severity of the caller's need in order to send the appropriate response.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- CPR certification
- Achieve Emergency Medical Dispatch status within 90 days of employment.
- Receive incoming emergency, and non-emergent calls simultaneously.
- Remain updated with back up contingency plans and procedures to accommodate any system failures. Put these procedures into action whenever required.
- Accurately and promptly analyze information provided by the caller to allow appropriate resources to be prioritized and allocated at the earliest possible opportunity.
- Use effective telephone techniques to deal with emotional incidents from all types of callers, including distressed/angry callers, in a professional, quick and efficient manner.
- Negotiate responses with other health care professionals (GPs, hospitals, nursing homes), enhancing partnership working wherever possible.
- Negotiate responses with other ambulance services and other emergency services and agencies.
- Assist in the compilation of records and call logs.
- Excellent keyboard and computer skills – minimum speed of 35 words per minute
- Professional telephone skills.
- Must be able to speak clearly and demonstrate excellent listening skills.
- Exceptional organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Prior Experience working in a call center or customer focused environment
- Ability to work effectively in a high-pressure, rapidly changing environment
- Ability to follow protocols
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to work 12 hour shifts that include days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Minimum of one year of dispatch experience or Emergency Medical Services field experience.
- Maintain confidentiality and follow HIPPA guidelines
- Ability to undertake responsibility for own personal development